National Recreation Trails Photo Contest
Hosted by AmericanTrails.org
2011 National Recreation Trails photo contest
American Trails sponsors an annual contest for photographs of National Recreation Trails across the country. Several trails are close to the St. Bernard Lodge. National Recreation Trails in our area include: Bizz Johnson Trail, Bumpass Hell, Feather Falls, Hartman Bar, Heart Lake, Lassen Peak, McGowan Lake and Spencer Meadows. The annual contest provides awards in several categories and shows off entries (and previous winners) on the NRT website. The goal is to highlight the diversity of the NRTs and to make more Americans familiar with these great trails. The contest is looking for good photos of trail users as well as special facilities, art on the trails, management issues, construction, and volunteers. they are looking for entries that cover the many types and uses of National Recreation Trails throughout America.
DEADLINE for entries is December 15, 2011.
ELIGIBILITY: Photos of any designated National Recreation Trail are eligible
If you want to check for a list of National Recreation Trails in your area check the on line searchable database for a list of NRTs in your state and provide more information on individual trails. If you’re not sure if a trail is an NRT, or if you have questions about the contest, call American Trails at (530) 547-2060 or NRT@AmericanTrails.org. Entries will be displayed on the NRT website.
AWARD CATEGORIES: We will give awards in the following categories, which are grouped under the three general areas of Trail Use, Trail Management, and Trail Features. Check out recent winners to get some ideas.
• Hiking and Walking
• Paddling and Water Trails
• Off-Highway Vehicle riding
• Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Dogsledding
• Trail Sharing
• Training and Education
• Trail Work
• Youth and Volunteers
• Health and Fitness
• Urban Trails and Greenways
• Rail and Canal Trails
• Historic Features
• Scenery and Natural Features
• Arts and Interpretation
• Innovative Facilities
• Environmental Features, Flora, and Fauna
• The trail as photographic inspiration
HOW TO ENTER the 2011 NRT photography contest
• DEADLINE: December 15, 2011
• DIGITAL: Photos must be in JPEG or TIFF format. Submit via our website at: http://atfiles.org/ftp/web/ATUpload.html. Digital images may be emailed if attachments are under 10 megabytes. Otherwise please send a CD.
• FILM: Sorry, we can’t accept prints or negatives, but you can have a local photo shop scan them to make digital photos.
• Submit up to TEN photos per trail.
• Separate entry forms are required for each different trail if you are entering photos of more than one NRT.
• Identify each photo with a number, file name, or other clear and concise identifier.
• Attach a list of your entries with description or caption, location, and photographer’s name with contact information for each photo. You may include maps, brochures, news articles, or other information.
• Make sure your photos are on designated National Recreation Trails
• Keep copies of your photos; we are not able to return cds or other media.
• Send your entries by email to NRT@AmericanTrails.org or by postal mail to American Trails, P. O. Box 491797, Redding, CA 96049-1797.
• Include the following information along with your photos, either electronically or by mail:
o Name of the NRT where photo(s) taken
o State and general location of trail
o Your name
o Photographer’s name, if different
o Website address
Pictures taken within Lassen Volcanic National Park which includes Lassen Peak and Bumpass Hell Trail as well as the Bizz Johnson Trail also qualify for the Wildlife Photography Contest mention on previous blog post. If you need any additional information on trail conditions or location please call us at 530-258-3382.